Search Properties

Never miss out on a property!
An Email will be sent to you the moment any Black Katz property becomes available matching your requirements
Simply fill in your details below to join
our FREE e-alerts system.
Priority is given to tenants registering for e-alerts.

Select Your Preferences:

Camden Branch & surrounding areas
Clapham Branch & surrounding areas
Crouch End Branch & surrounding areas
Hackney Branch & surrounding areas
Hammersmith Branch & surrounding areas
Islington Branch & surrounding areas
London Bridge Branch & surrounding areas
West End Branch & surrounding areas
West Hampstead Branch & surrounding areas
Property Price Range:
£0 - £250 PW
£250 - £300 PW
£300 - £350 PW
£350 - £400 PW
£400 - £450 PW
£450 - £500 PW
£500 - £600 PW
£600 - £750 PW
£750 plus PW



We would like to help you with your property search!

Simply Register Here...

property email alerts

Please fill in all the fields.
We will email you our latest properties as soon as they become available

By continuing, you accept that we may process your data in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Property Management


Cal McNamara – General  Manager
Tel: 0207 428 9494

Dara Madden - Finance Manager
Tel: 0207 428 9494

Rosie Sparkes – Property Manager
Tel: 0207 428 9494

Amy Burbridge - Property Manager
Tel: 0207 428 9494

Molly Sparkes – Property Manager
Tel: 0207 428 9494

Property Management Out of Hours Emergency Maintenance:

This service is for properties managed by Black Katz only.  If your property is not managed by Black Katz you should report your issue directly to your landlord.

Note: If you pay your rent directly to your landlord then your property is not managed by us.

Definition of Emergency:  This relates to any maintenance issue where by the property could be made to be unsafe or considerable damage may be caused to the property as a result of delay in action – Appliances do not fall under an emergency and you should report this to your property manager during business hours.

Any instances of Anti-social behaviour (resulting in concerns for safety) or burglary must be reported to the police immediately – A crime reference number will be required for any subsequent insurance claim (in case of burglary)

Please be aware there are some instances where you will be required to notify the relevant authorities as follows:


Gas Leak: If you smell gas you should immediately turn off the gas supply to the property if the meter is accessible.  You must contact Transco as soon as possible to report the leak and exit the property until you are advised the issue has been resolved.  You should inform the Property Manager of any works carried out or remedial works required the next working day for follow up.

Carbon Monoxide:  If your Carbon Monoxide Alarm goes off you should immediately open the windows in the property to let in fresh air.  Exit the property and call Transco to report the issue.  If you are experiencing any health issue as a result you should contact either your doctor or the emergency services.  Please ensure you notify the property manager the next working day.


Loss of Supply: Please initially check the fuse box for the property and ensure that no fuses have been tripped – If the fuse have tripped please try to return them to the “ON” position.  Please also check with your neighbours to ensure they are not also experiencing the same issue as this would indicate loss of power to a larger area.  Providing the answer to these questions is negative you should contact National Grid  Emergency 0800 111 999 to report the fault.  You should update your property manager the next working day.

Supply issue:  Before contacting Black Katz Emergency line you should first check with the Thames Water to ensure there are no scheduled works being carried out to the supply in your area and your neighbours to ensure they are not experiencing the same issue (which would indicate works being carried out).  In times of low temperatures during winter months please ensure that your pipes are not frozen as this can also affect the supply.

Leak: Immediately shut off water supply using stop cock and immediately advise the emergency line of the issue.  You should take steps to reduce the water flow through the property as best as possible using receptacles or towels to catch the leaking water until an engineer attends.

Should you have an emergency outside of normal business hours please use to report this to us

If you do not pay your rent to Black Katz then  please contact your Landlord directly.

New Legal Update

This area allows you to access up-to-date information on lettings. The area is split into two; Legal Hot Points area which specifically targets the current changes in the law while the FAQ's provide advice and tips for landlords and tenants. We hope you find this information of use.

New Legal Update.

We would advise Landlords to read the following and to take action to comply.

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Working alarms save lives in the event of a fire in your home you are at least four times more likely to die if there is no working smoke alarm.

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal, fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

The requirements will be enforced by local authorities who can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where a landlord fails to comply with a remedial notice.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has just issued the explanatory booklets below which you will find helpful in understanding the Regulations.

Also see link below for information on how to install a fire alarm.

This area allows you to access up-to-date information on lettings. The area is split into two; Legal Hot Points area which specifically targets the current changes in the law while the FAQ's provide advice and tips for landlords and tenants. We hope you find this information of use.

Disclaimer: The following is only our opinion and is written without liability to Black Katz whatsoever. For clarification of any issues we strongly advise that you contact your solicitor or local authority or visit the website

Energy Performance Certificate

All rental properties with a new tenancy in England and Wales will be required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

  • a landlord will need to provide an EPC, which will be valid for ten years, to prospective tenants the first time you ler or re-let your property.

Please note From 1 April 2018, landlords of relevant domestic private rented properties may not grant a tenancy to new or existing tenants if their property has an EPC rating of band F or G (as shown on a valid Energy Performance Certificate for the property);

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

The Energy Performance Certificate tells you how efficient and environmentally friendly your property is. The energy efficiency is worked out on a scale of A-G.

A being the most efficient and G being the least.

Part of the EPC is a recommendation report which will list the potential rating that your home could achieve, if you made changes. The report lists improvements that you could carry out and how this would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property.

  • *You can use this information to help cut our fuel bills
  • *Improve energy performances in your home.
  • *Help cut carbon emissions

Who carries out the EPC's

Energy Performance Certificate are carried out by a fully qualified Domestic Energy Assessors (DEAs). The assessor will visit your property and assess the age construction and location of all the information that he takes down will be fed into a computer, which will calculate ratings and generate a certificate. Either yourself or your letting agent can organize this for you. Each property will require an EPC which will last for 10 years.

How do I get one?

Either yourself or your letting agent can commission one from an accredited Dosmestic Assessor ( DEA).

DEAs can be found in your local directories.

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme: Introduction

Every private Landlord in England and Wales letting private residential property is by law required to join one of four government - authorised tenancy deposit protection schemes if:

The start date of the tenancy is after 6 April 2007 (excisting tenancies prior to this date will not be effected by this legislation) The tenancy is let under an Assured Short Term tenancy agreement.

The deposit must be registered within 30 days of receipt and the tenants informed which means in reality that if you use an agent like Black Katz where the deposit is collected @ 14 days before the move-in the timescale for the landlord is actually reduced to 16 days from the date of move-in.

As we do not hold deposits we would advise you, our Landlord to look into the schemes that are on offer. If you have any problems with this procedure just contact the office that you have been dealing with and they will guide you through the whole process step by step.

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme: Why?

It was introduced to safeguard tenants' deposits which are paid in connection with Assured Shorthold Tenancies against unscrupulous landlords and agents who withhold the deposits with no justified reason, it helps to facilitate with resolving disputes over the return of the deposit. Basically the scheme has been introduced to reassure tenants that the return of the deposit is a fair deal due to the fact that the agent or landlord is a member of scheme which uses an independent adjudicator.

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme: How Does It Work?

There are two types of schemes on offer a Custodial Scheme and an Insurance based scheme.

  • Custodial Scheme - in this scheme the deposit is forwarded to a designated third party. It is then held by this party throughout the tenancy until the termination of the tenancy and is returned when all parties are happy with the appropriation of the deposit.There ar no charges for Landlords to use an approved Custodial Scheme.
  • Insurance Scheme - The insurance based tenancy deposit scheme enables Landlords to hold deposits. There is a  fee to join and insurance based scheme.
  • For more information you go to

The 3 Schemes

  • The Deposit Protection Service (The DPS) - Custodial and Insured deposit protection scheme – The custodial deposit  protection scheme is free to use and open to all Landlords and Letting Agents. The service is funded entirely from the interest earned from deposits held. The Insured deposit protection scheme has no registration or annual renewal fee but charges from  £15.00 per deposit registered. The Landlord retains the deposit and protection will be provided to the tenant(s) for the duration of the tenancy. Landlords and Letting Agents will be able to register and make transactions on line. Paper forms will also be available should internet access be an issue. The scheme will be supported by a dedicated call centre and an independent dispute resolution service.
    For more information, visit or call 0845 226 7837
  • MyDeposits - This insurance-based tenancy deposit protection scheme enables Landlords to hold deposits. The fee for joining this scheme is £20 and from £18.00 per deposit protected by the deposit protection scheme. The protection covers the duration of the tenancy and if the tenant(s) continues onto a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. A new protection fee is needed at the start of every new fixed term AST agreement.
    For more information, visit or call 0333 321 9401
  • The Dispute Service (TDS) - is an insurance-backed deposit protection and dispute resolution scheme which has been  established in 2003 to provide dispute resolution and complaints handling for the lettings industry. The scheme enables letting  agents and landlords to hold their deposits.
    There is no fee for joining this scheme but will cost from £14.70 to register a deposit.
    For more information, visit or call 0330 303 0030

*If you are a landlord that lives overseas you have to join the custodial deposit protection scheme.

If a deposit is not protected, the landlord will be breaking the law. The Landlord will be unable to regain possession of the property using notice-only grounds for possession under the Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988. The tenant can apply for a court order requiring the deposits to be protected, or for the prescribed information to be given to them.

If the court finds your landlord hasn’t protected your deposit, it can order the person holding the deposit to either:

  • repay it to the tenant
  • pay it into a custodial TDP scheme’s bank account within 14 days

The court may also order the landlord to pay you up to 3 times the deposit within 14 days of making the order.

You can also Contact Natasha Eddy by email / 0207 284 3111

Hmo Licensing

What are the changes?

Licensing will be broken up into 2 sections; mandatory licensing, additional licensing and selective area licensing which could be introduced by the LHA.

  • Mandatory Licensing Scheme - This applies to houses in multiple occupation (HMO’s) of five or more people, making up to two or more households.. (From 1 October 2018 mandatory licensing will no longer be limited to certain HMOs that are three or more storeys high, but will also include buildings with one or two storeys.)
  • Additional Licensing Scheme - This applies to all privately rented properties occupied by three of more people making up two or more households, regardless of the numbers of storeys in the property.
  • Selective Licensing Scheme - Please check with you local council to see if this applies to your property.

As the LHA can introduce additional licensing schemes and selective area licensing schemes landlords will need to ensure that they keep up to date with the actions of their LHA.

What are the license requirements?

All licenses will have provisions for anti-social behaviour by tenants which will ultimately be the responsibility of the landlords.

In addition to this the license will specify how many tenants can reside at the property and the minimum facilities required including the number of toilets, baths, showers and kitchens etc. for the number of tenants and the property needs to fulfill the safety requirements.

What happens if the property does not meet the standards?

If the property fails to meet the minimum standards required then the LHA may:

  • Grant a license subject to a provision being made about ensuring that extra facilities are supplied within a certain period.
  • Grant a license for a smaller number of occupants.
  • Refuse to grant a license until the standards have been met.

Are there any fees and how long does a license last?

Yes there will be a fee. The fees vary between LHA's as it is up to them to set the fees. They currently vary between £300 to £500 however it has been stated that one is quoting £1100. These licenses will be valid for five years however it may be possible to get a shorter license.

Are there any penalties?

It will be a criminal offence to operate an HMO without a license and will be subject to a fine of up to £20,000. The tenants within your property may also apply for a rent repayment order whereby the tenant can apply for the landlord to repay all the rent paid whilst the property was run as an HMO without a license, up to a years back payment can be applied for. Another restriction will be that while a Landlord operates without a license he will be unable to serve a Section 21 to regain the property.

Frequently Asked Questions

We believe that it is vital that both Landlords and Tenants are aware of their legal rights and obligations. Below are some essential questions and answers.

  • As a Landlord do I have to perform an annual electrical safety check on my rented property?

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 governs the safety requirements of electrical appliances. As a result Landlords and managing agents have a duty of care to ensure that the electrical appliances that they provide are safe to use. This regulation relates to both new and second hand goods; however, there is no mandatory checking period.

If a fault occurs at a later date and tenants are injured and you are taken to court you will need to provide evidence that you took reasonable steps to ensure that the appliances were safe to use. It is strongly recommended that any second hand appliances that you have are professionally tested and that all your appliances have the relevant CE symbol on them. It
would be advisable that you carry out checks on all your appliances and maintain records of when you carried out these checks, you will also need to provide all the instruction booklets for all the appliances and if you are in doubt over the condition of any appliance then get it checked by a qualified electrician.

Should an incident occur and you are found to be guilty you can be charged both with a criminal offence and with Civil offence. The criminal offence carries a maximum fine of £5,000 and/or imprisonment.

  • I have a fixed 12month contract which is due to come to term in two months time. Do I still have to provide notice to our Landlord?

At the end of a fixed term in an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, the tenancy will automatically become a periodic tenancy unless either you or your landlord has served notice or agreed to renew your tenancy. It is therefore advisable that you serve your landlord a month's written notice and the likewise for your landlord he/she should serve you the minimum of two months notice which should not expire any sooner than end of the fixed term.

In some cases your landlord may have served a section 21 at the start of the tenancy stating that at the end of the 12month period they want to take possession of the flat, in such circumstances you will not need to serve notice.

  • Can I use my deposit as my last months rent?

Deposit monies are given to landlords as a security against damage caused by the tenants during the tenancy and the     settlement of any outstanding bills left by tenants. Therefore the deposit can not be used as the last months rent, some tenants find this unfair when they have dealt with unscrupulous landlords who withhold deposits. This problem has been tackled by new legislation written into the Housing Act 2004; Tenancy Deposit Scheme will be implemented to safeguard tenants' deposits. This new legislation was due to take affect in October 2006 however the date has been postponed and a new date should hopefully be announced this July. For more information on how this scheme will work please see our Legal Hot Points column.

  •  My Landlord is withholding my deposit, what can I do?

When a tenancy ends it is normal practice for the landlord to carry out a check out of an inventory or at least an inspection of the property. Once this has occurred then the landlord can make any necessary deductions for damage to the flat or furniture or for any outstanding utility bills or rent arrears. However, the landlord can not make any deductions for normal wear and tear; he/she can not withhold your deposit without providing you a written notice of why and what for. Should you disagree with the reasons or the landlord is not providing you with a reason you should contact the tenancy deposit protection scheme that your deposit is protected with.

For further information on this please see our Legal Hot Points column.

What is the Landlord responsible for?

  • Repairing obligations to the structure and exterior of the property; heating and hot water installations, sinks and other         sanitary installations.
  • Ensuring that all gas and electrical appliances are safe.
  • Ensuring that the furniture and furnishings within the property meet the fire safety standards.

What is the Tenant responsible for?

  • Paying the rent in the agreed manner and taking proper care of the property
  • Paying the utility bills for the property as agreed with the Landlord, such as gas, electricity and telephone.
  • Paying council tax, water and sewerage charges as agreed by the Landlord.

Does a Landlord have to provide a Gas Safety Certificate for each new Tenancy?

NO. The legislation in place relating to the installation and maintenance of gas appliances (Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998) demands that all Landlords must ensure that any gas appliances within their rental property is inspected and passed annually by a CORGI qualified engineer. Failure to comply with the regulation carries a fine of up to £5,000 and/or imprisonment of six months (or more). The Landlord is responsible for keeping a record of all the Safety checks and provide the Tenants with a copy.

A Tenant has informed his/her Landlord about a repair, however the Landlord has failed to carry out this obligation, what are the Tenants rights?

Depending on how the disrepair occurred in the first place then the tenants rights are as follows. The Landlord is not responsible for the repairs arising from the damage caused by the Tenant. If the damage was caused by the Tenant then the Tenant would be responsible for paying and ensuring that the work is carried out. Apart from this the Tenant only has to do repairs if the terms in the Tenancy Agreement say so.

If the Tenant has tried on numerous occassion to get the Landlord to carry out his repairing obligations and has no success then he can either:

  • sue the Landlord in court
  • seek help from the local authorities as they have powers to ensure that the Landlord does the repairs
  • or in some circumstances, if the right procedure is followed then the Tenant could do the works and take the cost out of the rental payments. Tenants need to know that with holding rent would be in breach of their tenancy terms and the Landlord could take action to repossess the property.

Register Now

Back to tenants page